7.16.2010

[Reblog:] A Real 36 hours in St. Louis

Note: This post originally appeared on Girls Guide to the Galaxy. The site has since gone under, and I'm not sure how much longer these posts will still exist. But they were good. And I don't want to loose them. To see the original, click here

I love it when our great city gets positive publicity. Especially when said publicity is coming from a publication as big as the New York Times. In case you missed it, there is this great article, 36 Hours in Saint Louis, that came out a few weeks back and quickly made its rounds on the Internet.
I’ve already gone through and mentally highlighted all the places I want to visit on the list (Cherokee!Winslow’s HomeFranco! … ), but it got me thinking. How am I spending my 36 hours (or a little more) in St. Louis?
Friday
6:00pm
It’s the weekend! I made my way home from work, picked up the pup, and went down to Soulard for a walk. The area boasts some of the city’s finest old buildings and a dog park (for the brave pet owners…. aka, not me).
7:30pm
It was time for a stop in at a new Soulard establishment, International Tap House, or iTap as it is so cleverly called. iTap boosts an impressive beer list and a fantastic patio. Perfect for an afternoon brewsky. Plus, they brought out a doggie bowl of water for my pup! Thoughtful, eh? We both quenched our thirst!
10:00pm
Is there a better way to spend a nice evening than hanging out on a patio listening to some music with friends? I don’t think so. Atomic Cowboy always has a great mix of  popular DJ-driven music and local live bands to satisfy its patrons. Plus, it has the perfect crowd (in my opinion)- an even mix of college guys in salmon-colored polos (and their bro-posse) and tattooed hipsters drinking their PBRs.
Saturday
11:00am
I made my way over to the Tower Grove Farmer’s Market. Scratch that. I attempted to make my way over to the Tower Grove Farmer’s Market. I went to the park, strolled around a bit, but in attempt not to get lost, I refused to wander too far from where I had parked. Not a big deal- I actually checked out the Market last Thursday on its weekly stop downtown, and my aimless wanderings gave me a chance to enjoy a pretty park on a pretty day. Oh and shoot this cute video of ducks.
1:00pm
All that walking made me thirsty, and I knew right away just what I needed. No, not more beer from iTap. I needed cucumber water.
Have you ever heard of this interesting combination? Something about the slice of cucumber in ice water quenches my thirst like nothing else can. Intrigued? Head on over to Benton Park Cafe and try it!
Benton Park Cafe serves up the perfect brunch on summer mornings. I recommend the Hoofer omelet (um duh, it has bacon) but choosing between the potatoes and the fruit cup for your side is going to be up to you. I’ve had both, and even I have a tough time making up my mind! (and no, the fruit cup is not one of those sissy sides made up of mostly melon that they serve at most restaurants, this is strawberries, grapes, pineapples, hmm hmmm good).
Oh, and on the way out the door, don’t forget to grab an Iced Benton Park Mocha. It’ll cool you down and perk you up.
2:00pm
Sure, there are plenty of great public pools you can waste the day at in Saint Louis (not to mention a couple decent waterparks), but personally, I’m more of a ‘backyard pool’ gal.
Green lawns and clean cars and swimming pools are part of the good life, American style.
-Alvin Weinberg
I grew up with pools in backyards- at my grandparents, my cousins’, my friends’, my neighbors’. Every house, including my own had a pool in the backyard. I honestly don’t know any other way to spend my summer days.
5:00pm
While you’re down in South County (oh, I’m sorry, that’s not where your pool is? Too bad…), make sure to stop by Spanky’s Frozen Custard and grab yourself a frozen treat. The custard is good, but after a day in the sun there is nothing better than a fruity, refreshing treat. I usually go for the Pina Colada Slustard (A slustard is half slushie, half custard, and it is seriously delicious), but I’m also a big fan of their Strawberry Fruit Coolers.
9:00pm
Looking for a nice little block of bars that’s sort of downtown, but free from the crowds on Washington Avenue and the Landing? Head down Locust to hit up this trifecta- SchlaflyEl Borracho, and Tin Can.
All three are great places, with great service, to just chill with your friends. Grab a table, grab a beer (Summer Lager, Sol, and 16 oz. PBR, respectively), and enjoy a night out with your besties (at bars where you can actually hear each other’s conversation).
Sunday
Is there a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than a backyard BBQ with friends? All you need are some snacks, beer, and Saint Louis’ finest pork steaks and you’re set. Oh, don’t forget the washers!
And if you’re really lucky, you’ll be spending your 36 hours in St. Louis the weekend of Fourth of July and get the extra special treat of watching fireworks under the Arch! At least, that’s how I topped off my weekend! Enjoy this little snippet of the show while you start making your own plans for a weekend in Saint Louis…

No comments:

Looking for something?

Archives