1.16.2013

St. Louis City Hospital

“When I was eleven, my parents drove the family downtown. We arrived from I-55 south, and exited at Lafayette Avenue. There, in the form of the abandoned City Hospital, I saw first the ferocity of so many forces that forged and ruined the city. My young mind was blown by the sight of this rambling complex, which then still had its 14-story tower, and the mysteries it begged me to seek. I was struck with terror and awe, because never had I seen anything as frightening as a hospital shuttered and derelict, and never had I seen a hospital designed with such deliberate beauty and purpose. I had to learn why it existed, and why it existed as I had found it. Never has my work stopped.” 
- Michael Allen
Image via
Quote via 

No comments:

Looking for something?

Archives