11.15.2010

On Rotation: Florence + Treme

I rarely listen to the radio anymore. And I don't have one of those fancy iPod plugins in my car (heck, I don't even have one of those fancy iPods!). I like CDs.

I used to be an advocate of (alphabetically-ordered) mix CDs, but nowadays I'm rarely listening to something other than a band's CD or a soundtrack that I borrowed from Jason's Dropbox bought at the store or on iTunes.

Tucked away in my side compartment are Avett Brothers, Lady Gaga, Mumford & Sons, The National, Brandi Carlile, Ray LaMontagne.... just to name a few. But right now, I'm constantly rotating between Florence + The Machine and the Treme Soundtrack.

Florence + The Machine is this amazing blues-y/dance hybrid. It reminds me of the Eurythmics or A Fine Frenzy and I love it. The only official music video I could find was from Twilight (ew), but you've got to got to got to watch their performance at this year's VMAs. It blew my mind. While my favorite song of theirs changes on a weekly basis, right now I'm loving 'Between Two Lungs.'


And Treme, oh Treme. Have you ever watched this show? It is set in post-Katrina New Orleans and literally revolves around the music. Most of the main characters are either musicians themselves or, as is typical in NOLA, appreicate the musical culture that thrives in their city. The song from the opening credits is enough to get me watching (and listening).


Happy listening.
#musicmonday

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard Florence and the Machine on the radio the night before we left for London, downloaded it and then it became our vacation's theme song. Love it! Cant wait for more!

-katie

Looking for something?

Archives