7.20.2012

Five-Minute Cake Batter Ice Cream

Now THIS was quite the experiment. As you may or may not know, July is National Ice Cream Month. Also, it's hot. And, I'm not a great baker. 

So, when I set my mind on making dessert Thursday night, I was looking for something cold, easy and of the ice cream variety. I saw this recipe for cake batter ice cream made from bananas on Pinterest and decided to try it out. 

It's vegan (not that I care about that). It claims to take 5 minutes. And all you needed was bananas and a  shitload bunch of extracts. 

Here's the recipe, along with a nice little graphic from SheKnows:

Ingredients:
 5 frozen bananas
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon butter extract (I used 'butter flavor')
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon maple extract (I used 'maple flavor')
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons agave nectar (find it in the baking aisle near sugar and spices or by the honey)
2 tablespoons sprinkles
Directions:
 - Peel five bananas and cut them into bite-size pieces. Place the bananas in a freezer bag and place the bag in the freezer until the bananas are completely frozen. (uh, I forgot to peel/chop them before freezing. That would have made things easier.)
- Place the frozen bananas in the bowl of a food processor. Process the bananas for about two minutes until they are smooth.
- Add two tablespoons of vanilla extract, one teaspoon of butter extract, one-quarter teaspoon of almond extract and one-quarter teaspoon of maple extract.
- Add one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda.
- Add two tablespoons of agave nectar.
- Place the lid back on the food processor and pulse five to ten times until the ingredients are well combined. Add two tablespoons of sprinkles. Place the lid back on the food processor and pulse once or twice to mix the sprinkles into the ice cream. Serve immediately or store the ice cream in a sealed container in the freezer.

A couple of.... comments. 
It turns out more like a banana milkshake than ice cream. I did freeze the leftovers, so I'll let you now if that is more ice creamy. Also, the original recipe is 'vegan', but if you don't really care about that.... I think it would be really good with some chocolate and/or peanut butter chips mixed in!

No comments:

Looking for something?

Archives