7.11.2010

Sheltered

I don't follow politics too much, but there is one thing Obama has done while in office that knocked him down a peg for me...

He didn't follow through on his promise to get a shelter dog. 

I know, I know... allergies. But still, I am a huge proponent of going the rescued pet route as opposed to going to a breeder. You all can have your tailor-made toy dogs and hybrids, but I'll stick to helping out all the abandoned and lost mixed breeds who need a home.

I think my love of shelter dogs goes all the way back to my first dog- Poncho. He was a black lab that my Dad found wandering a golf course and brought home. The dog must have been born to run because he jumped our fence a lot. One day, we went to the pound to pick him up and I, even now, years later, will never get that image out of my head.

Walking up and down the aisles looking for our lost pet among the cages filled with dogs. Most were barking and jumping up and down, hoping we would claim them, while others were cowered in the corners, frightened. It was heartbreaking.

We found our Poncho that day, but eventually his running beat us and we lost him forever. I only hope and pray some family took him in and he wasn't hit by a car somewhere.

Ever since then, all our pets have come from shelters or from family friends whose own pets had unplanned litters and needed to get rid of them. We've had Bear- a chocolate lab/spaniel mix; Grizzly- a black lab/golden retriever mix; Max- an orange cat we picked up from a rescue organization; Pre- who was rescued by my Aunt; and, of course, Maverick, who I got from Animal Protection.

In Missouri, we know all to well the importance of shelters (yet, they still lack the funding they need... sad). In case you were wondering what made the short list for 'Things Missouri is famous for', puppy mills is at the top. We've been called the 'puppy mill capital of the Midwest', and probably even the country. You can't go a few months without hearing of another bust on the news. Without seeing images of abused and malnourished animals stuck in cages being delivered to a local shelter.

I spent the last semester in college volunteering for the Central Missouri Humane Society in Columbia, Mo.  We did everything from help with filing to walking and bathing the dogs. My favorite thing to do there was  'cage time' with the pets. All you have to do is go in to their cage (or in the case of the cats, take them out) and pet them, calm them down, make them feel loved. Most people come in wanting the little ones- puppies and kittens- so it is the older ones I feel the most for. The bigger pets, the older ones... those are the ones that are most likely going to be forgotten. Those are the ones who need the attention.

I remember there was a dog at CMHS that was there the entire semester I was volunteering. He was adorable. A grey and white mutt who was as friendly as it gets. He would even 'hug' you by putting his paws around you. He actually got adopted once, but they returned him because- get this- he was 'too loving.' Too loving? Is that a joke?

Yes, I'm sorry. This dog is just too nice. He loves us too much. Take him back. 

It breaks my heart.

So do what you can.... go volunteer at a shelter, or consider getting your next pet from one. It's easy. And instead of paying a load of money for some designer pet, you are taking in one that needs love and needs a home.

Don't ignore them. 

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Word.

Lynn said...

I agree completely. My parents' most recent dog (who passed away a year ago) came from a puppy mill in Missouri. She was rescued by an animal rescue organization when she was 6, having been bred who knows how many times. She could barely bark, her ear was tattooed with her "number," her teeth were rotting out from chewing on the bars of her cage. She was the most wonderful dog, who I believe knew she was being given a second chance. She had to learn how to play, bark, and wag her tail. She was full of love, spunk, and humor; had she not been rescued she would have died alone, in a cage, without ever having lived.

Obama's choice to adopt a purebred dog from a breeder was a deep disappointment to me. Allergies are no excuse. There are many purebreds in shelters.

My pets will always come from a shelter. There are wonderful, loving animals out there who just want to be given a chance. I hope more people are willing to offer them that.

Danielle said...

Lynn,
It is great that there are people out there like you (and me and your parents) who choose to bypass the designer dogs and go to shelters. These pets are already here, just waiting to be loved! Thansk for commenting!

Danielle

Looking for something?

Archives