7.08.2010

I've fallen and I can't get up!


That was cute, wasn't it? But what I saw last night wasn't quite so adorable.

Last night, I'm walking out of the Muny* and saw the weirdest thing.

(*for you out-of-towners, The Muny is this amazing outdoor theater in Forest Park in Saint Louis. The theater, and the park in general were built for the 1904 World's Fair in Saint Louis. Every summer, they feature a line up of amazing shows like this season's Beauty and the Beast, Titanic, Damn Yankees, Sound of Music, Footloose... Oh, and there are free seats. It is pretty much the bee's knees.)

Anywho... I'm walking out of the Muny and I see a young girl, probably between the ages of 17 and 20, run over to one of the purple-shirted Muny staffers. I know that right outside the theater, there is this big hill, so I assumed some unsuspecting grandmother had lost her footing and fallen.

Boy, was I wrong.

We get outside and I see the group of 'kids' and the Muny staffer standing around a blob on the ground. This blob is, I'm guessing, their friend. Their friend who had fallen.

Now, I'm not making light of the fact that this girl fell down. It's a big hill. I'm sure she was hurt. The thing is, instead of laying there, crying out in pain, she was on her cell phone.

On her cell phone yelling at her mom.
"Mom, I'm on the ground!".... "At the MUNY!".... "I went to the Muny to see Titanic!"... "No mom, I'm in the grass! They called an ambulance!"
This wasn't frantic, nervous, painful yelling. It was more like 'geez-mom-get-off-my-back-you-are-so-stupid' yelling.

Maybe it's just me, but if I had fallen to the point where I needed someone to call an ambulance, I probably would have passed the phone off to a friend or something.

No comments:

Looking for something?

Archives